31.7.14

When The Clock Struck Twelve


Halter monochrome midi dress - c/o Fash Mob
Circle sling bag - Charles & Keith
Pointed lace flats - Mondo
Chandelier jewel earrings - H&M
Lipstick - MAC in Angel

The Raffles Hotel is one of Singapore's most iconic hotels. It housed the British royals when they visited the sunny island. If it's good for the prince and princess, it's an absolute luxury that regular people could enjoy the compound too. As much as I wish too, I have not stayed or even had a peek of how the guest rooms look like. The hotel was built in the late 1800s, with colonial inspired elements that were well preserved till today. There's an overwhelming charm about this place; its really old lift which takes forever to get you to the next floor, the intricate carvings on its architectural columns, its grand marble stairways that reflect in perfect symmetry and my favourite – the most beautiful chandeliers that always make me think of The Phantom Of The Opera. And gosh, the Ballroom appears unaltered since its time. The progress of a country is good but inevitable. The number of massive underground train stations, skyscrapers in their glorious facade and mega malls that has erected over the years can be a bit too much to take in. You lose sight of tradition and and slowly, all that's left are facades and steel and a future we have to get used to eventually. I could only wonder how is it like to go to bed like an English lady and wake up to the bustling heart of Singapore. As of now, a girl can dream.

What I'm wearing is a dress that fits me to T. It has my favourite halter neckline (how many times have I worn a halter already?), a sharp tapered waist and a pleated midi. Despite the busy wild splash of pattern, its form fitting shape stands out sharply from the so called 'mess'. I never expected to find pockets on this dress, adding on to the list of reasons why I love this dress so much. To play up the glamorous quality of the dress even more, I curled half a side of my hair and added a pair of chandelier earrings that are as sparkly as a disco ball! It was a surprise find at H&M's sales section for only $2. I wish I had glass slippers like Cinderella for the ballroom, but I guess a Singaporean girl like me would much prefer humble flats that'll take me wherever I wanted. 


Photos by Nigel.